Castaño del Robledo
Village situated in the middle of the mountains, in the north of the province and belonging to the Sierra de Aracena y los Picos de Aroche, one of the most important protected spaces of the Community, which occupies the whole of the north of the province with its meadows and small rises in the ground, covered predominantly in holm oak woods, cork oaks, chestnut trees and scrub through which numerous streams flow forming an extraordinarily beautiful and attractive landscape.
The hamlet, declared Property of Cultural Interest, is a group of buildings of great architectonic interest in which St James the Great Church, the Calvaries (crosses at the entrance to a village), the Fountain and some old houses stand out.
From the Conejales Viewpoint there is one of the most beautiful panoramic views of the Park.
The first reviews of this locality go back to the 15th century, with it contribution of a levy to the War of Granada. But its official foundation is carried out, in 1554, by five neighbors of Aracena, as village dependent on this one. In this time, the famous humanist Benito Arias Montano played occasionally the functions of presbítero of its parish.
The process of emancipation is begun in 1700. From this moment, it begins a period of economic and demographic brilliance that extends up to the second half of the following century.
The important exploitation of the chestnut grove and the cattle, mining and forest productions, in the 18th century, together with the hunting and industrial activities in the 19th century, were the principal support of this moment of growth.
Nowadays, this municipality produces the half of the production of chestnuts of the whole province.
Pablo Munix, Archbishop of Pamplona.
- Max 12
- Min 9
- Max 53
- Min 48