Village situated in the Tierra Llana, near the capital and located on the banks of the river Odiel, on lands dedicated to the farming of vines, olives and vegetables. Within its municipal area, not only for its wealth in birds and animals but also for its vegetation. In the village itself the Castle and the Parish Church are worthy of note.
HistoryThe Mediterranean civilizations were attracted to this zone by the exploitation of the mines. Its origin is therefore linked to the legendary mines of Tharsis.
During Roman times it was called Olont. The Romans considered it a strategic place and the road that went to Paymogo, passed through here.
In Al-Andalus times the word Gebel was put before its name; this word means "mountain".
The Christian conquest was carried out by the prince don Alfonso de la Cerda in the year 1257. Although it passed once more into Moslem hands, it was definitively siezed by king Alfonso X and left as a feudal estate for his daughter Beatriz.
It was included in the Marquisate of Gibraleon during the reign of Carlos V, a title that was granted to Alfonso de Zuñiga.
It underwent a strange mestization due to the arrival of African slaves during the XV century and of Amerindians after the Discovery of America.
Province of Huelva
The weather today in Gibraleón
- Max 34
- Min 24
- Max 93
- Min 75