Barrios, Los

Barrios, Los
Read more Read less

The village is located at the heart of the Campo de Gibraltar region, and a large part of it belongs to Los Alcornocales Natural Park.

Due to its prize location, the area has been populated since prehistoric times, although the modern village really only came into existence in the 18th century as a result of the English occupation of Gibraltar.

Worth visiting are Bacinetes Caves and San Isidro Labrador Church.

History

Its origins are to be found in the group of dwellings in which the inhabitants of Gibraltar took refuge when the rock fell into English hands in 1704, on the left bank of the River Palmones (the hamlet of the same name is now a district of Los Barrios). Years later, many of these refugees settled around Tinoco farm, which stood on the site of the present-day San Isidro Square.

During the Napoloeonic invasion, the mayor is said to have provided a safe haven for the village's young ladies in what is now known as the Casa de las Doncellas (Maidens' House).

Historically speaking, the village's golden age came during the reign of Charles III.

Barrios, Los
Town
Province of Cádiz
Barrios, Los
The weather today in Barrios, Los
  • Max 27
  • Min 19
  • Max 80
  • Min 66
  • °C
  • °F
Barrios, Los
Tourist area
Distance to the capital (km)
131
Altitude above sea level (m)
23
Extension (Km 2 )
331
No. of Inhabitants
21977
Demonym
Barriopeños
Postal Code
11370
Contact information
Copy the contact information
Copied to clipboard
Social networks

we recommend