Posadas is a village in the west of the province and its territory is a combination of mountain range and plains. The former is part of Sierra de Hornachuelos Natural Park, the province's largest protected area and of immense scenic value, with its cork oaks, holm oaks and undergrowth, as well as riverside copses of willows, ashes and alders. It is also important in terms of wildlife and hunting.
The plains, rich agricultural land, are washed by the River Guadalquivir, which plays a major role in shaping the landscape.
The village stretches along the banks of the river, barely distinguishable from the surrounding countryside except for the towers of its churches, such as Santa María de las Flores, a most original construction.
A number of Roman relics have been found in the village and some researchers maintain that the settlement of Detumo (referred to by others as Decuma) must have stood opposite Posadas.
Both stages of mediaeval history -Moslem and Christian- have left their mark on the village.
The reconquest of this area is documented as occuring in 1240, and in 1254, Alfonso X granted Posadas its Village Charter. Subsequent Andalusian civil confrontations eventually decimated the village's population.
The village is believed to have been repopulated by inhabitants of Hornachuelos. The Marquis of Guadalcazar was also the Count of Posadas, aristocratic control of which later fell first into the hands of the house of the Count of Casa-Palma and, subsequently, the house of Polentinos.
Martinez Benavides, stockbreeder.
Luis de Cordoba, flamenco singer.