Villanueva del Duque
Located in the Los Pedroches region, in the north of the province, amidst a landscape of crop fields and holm oak pastures.
Villanueva del Duque itself, like all of the region"s villages, is characterised by the use of granite in lintels and windows of houses and other buildings, contrasting with the white limestone of the walls. The architectural highlight of the village is St. Matthew"s Church.
HistoryThe foundation of a new village within the county of Belalcazar at the end of the 15th century and its subsequent incorporation in to the dukedom of Bejar in 1518 gave rise to the name of this village: Villanueva del Duque ("the Duke"s Newtown"). During most of the 14th century, it was known as Villanueva del Marques, later replaced by the present-day name.
The village dates back to the Calcolithic period.
During Roman times, it was an important mining centre.
Its historical origins are directly linked with the county of Belalcazar, ceded by Henry IV to Alonso de Sotomayor, which comprised the locations of Gaete and Hinojosa del Duque, Villanueva being a hamlet of the latter.
In 1601, it became an independent village after paying 4.000 ducats to the Royal Inland Revenue .
Though always a part of the Bishopric of Cordoba, in civil and administrative matters it was governed by the old province of Extremadura until the middle of the 19th century.
Alejandro Lopez Andrada, writer (1957-).
- Max 9
- Min 5
- Max 48
- Min 41