Iglesia Parroquial de Nuestra Señora de la Palma

Iglesia Parroquial de Nuestra Señora de la Palma
Read more Read less

The Parish Church of Nuestra Señora de Palma is located in the Plaza Alta, which is the authentic focal point of the city of Algeciras. The work of Alonso Barranco and Pablo Casaus, it was built in 1738 using part of the stones salvaged from the old Moorish city.

The most important church in Algeciras, it has five naves. The central nave is covered with a barrel vault and is separated from the lateral naves by thick Doric columns. The vaults of the side naves rest on pilasters. The simple façade includes interesting buttresses on the sides of the doorway, which has a niche of the Virgin Mary. Its tower is 150 feet high and was built between 1793 and 1804.

Dedicated to the Virgin of the Palma, Patron Saint of Algeciras since 1344, the Patron Saint and "Perpetual Mayoress" are venerated on the main altar. The side chapels are used to venerate the Real, Antiquísima y Venerable Cofradía del Santo Entierro and María Santísima de la Soledad, and the Brotherhood of Our Father Jesus of Nazareth, Santo Cristo de la Fe, Santa Cruz de Jerusalén and María Santísima de la Amargura.

Both the interior and exterior of the church have excellent ornamental lighting, while the century-old Clock in the tower is outstanding. The clock was designed by George Gram in 1741, was built in 1771 and was installed in 1804, when construction of the tower was completed. It is amazingly precise and can go for several months without needing adjustment. Together, the church and the clock make for an essential visit.

Visits
Other Visits
en
Read more
Iglesia Parroquial de Nuestra Señora de la Palma
Plaza Alta, s/n, 11201
Contact information
Copied to clipboard
Social networks

Services and infrastructure

  • Historic building

Target audiences

Seniors, Couples, young people, Lgbti, I travel alone, For families, Friends

Segments

Culture

Specialties

Church

Open to visitors

Yes