The city of Andujar is situated at the foot of the Sierra Morena Mountains, to the west of the province. Its district is included in the Sierras de Andujar Nature Park, medium sized mountains which house a truly Mediterranean ecosystem made up of groups of Gall, Holm and Cork oaks, oak trees, umbrella pines and bushes. A great number of wild animals live here, which adds a high cynegetic value.
Bathed by the Guadalquivir river, crossed by a spectacular roman bridge, the old Iberian Iliturgi is an attractive city which unites its mountainous landscape with its olive grove tradition and its relationship with the Guadalquivir river.
Its urban landscape is made up of noble houses, modern buildings and traditional andalusian houses and you can find monuments such as the Church of Santa Maria, the Church of San Miguel, the Church of San Bartolomé, the Palace of Cardenas, Fuente Sorda Tower, Tavira Tower, the Town Hall and many others.
Within its district, we can find the Chapel of la Virgen de la Cabeza, where one of the most important pilgrimages in Andalusia takes place. Awarded the Gold Medal of the Regional Government of Andalusia.
In Iberian times it was called Iliturgi.
During Roman times it was called Andura. It became involved in the Punic Wars. It was besieged by Asdrubal, Megon and Ampilcar and liberated by the Scipions. From this important period in the history of Andujar, only a few remains of the wall are left in the place called the Old Andujar and the 13 arched bridge over the Guadalquivir river.
During the al-Andalus period it was called Alturia.
The Christian re-conquest was carried out by King Alfonso VII in 1155. Soon afterwards, it would fall into Muslim hands again. In the year 1224, King Fernando III finally conquered it again with the help of the moorish king of Baeza. In 1373,
King Juan I gave it to the Armenian King Leon V, but at his death, it returned to the crown.
In 1467, King Enrique IV granted it its Village charter.
Napoleonic soldiers looted the village in 1808. The surrender after the Battle of Bailen took place in the Palace of Condes de Gracia Real.
In 1823 the Duke of Angulema, general of Napoleon"s army, passed the Bylaws of Andujar in an attempt to stop the tremendous anti-liberal repression brought about by the absolutists after taking power.
In 1835 the first Andalusian Central Government Assembly was built in Andujar. In this way, it became the head of the "assembly movement" and pioneered andalusian autonomy.
Brother Alonso Ruiz Navarro.
Brother Gómez de San Luis.
Antonio Alcalá Venceslada, writer.
The weather today in Andújar
- Max 36
- Min 31
- Max 96
- Min 87