Casa Ordóñez

Casa Ordóñez
Read more Read less
You will find this noble Baroque building, from the second half of the 17th century, in number 26 Granada Street.

 A two storey building separated on the facade by a cornice.
 The facade has a large doorway framed between two Tuscan Order pilasters of fluted shaft and sober entablature, over the entrance and symmetrically centred there is a balcony flanked by the Ordóñez Family Shields.

 The entrance and the coats of arms are carved in pink marbled stone.

 The different spaces and chambers are organized around a main courtyard with upper gallery; at ground level we find a first body of arches resting on Tuscan marble columns, the upper level is a gallery of rectangular balconies. There is also an additional yard, simpler, with a gallery of arches at ground level on one side and on the upper level of the other side a landscape-observation gallery crowned by cubical body battlements with pyramidal tops.

 The structure's load-bearing walls are made of rammed earth and slab with fully treated and restored wooden beams for its floors an ceilings. 

 The House was inhabited by the Muñóz of Mendoza family. This family was closely related to the Brotherhood of the Resurrection, now known as the Brotherhood of the Flagellation of Christ and Our Lady of the Greater Pain. The headquarters of this brotherhood are in Granada Street.

 The relationship of this lineage with the brotherhood is documented in the book "Churches and Chapels of Bornos" of the local author don Manuel Barra Rodríguez, favourite son of the Villa of Bornos, posthumously. Catalina Muñóz de Mendoza, an heiress of the Muñóz family, married on 9 November 1742 to Francisco Ordóñez Lobatón, Mayor Ensign of Bornos (1765) and Lieutenant of the Mayor of Bornos (1777), hence giving the name of "Ordoñez" to the House. In Bornos on the 22nd of December 1746 a son was born of this match, Bartolomé Ordóñez and Mendoza Muñóz Jiménez Lobatón and Carrasco. He became Knight of Ronda, Supernumerary Gentleman by Royal Decree of 15 June 1790, Mayor of Bornos in 1776 and 1782 and was named Knight of the Order of Carlos III, record 478, approved on 22 February 1791.

 Centuries later, on 14 April 1954, Francisco García Perez and Garcia-Zapata, as executor of Doña Ana Pérez of Grandallana and Zapata, disposes that all assets and rents, house and gardens be used to establish a foundation for a free school for poor children, where the children be taught according to the dogmas of the Roman Catholic Religion, at all times; he also predisposed that, so as to ensure a prosperous life for this foundation, the organisers could admit some public pupils from Bornos and Arcos thus collecting funds to allow a larger number of poor children to attend this centre. 

The benefits obtained from the Orchard of the Ordóñez were to be used for the keep of the teachers employed; in addition Ana left 37,500 pesetas to carry out whatever building works were necessary to turn the house into a school and to buy school materials. This entity was called The Non-Profit Foundation "Ave Maria School". 
It finally closed in 1977 and their assets, house and garden, were sold to Bornos Council for 110,000 y 120.000 pesetas, respectively.

Free Entrance

Monday to Friday Morning 9 to 15 h. Afternoon 17 to 21 h.

Visits
Monuments
en
Read more
Casa Ordóñez
Calle Granada, Hay aparcamiento gratuito a pocos metros, 27, 11640
Contact information
Copied to clipboard
Social networks

Services and infrastructure

  • Accessible for handicapped
  • Historic building
  • Parking
  • WIFI

Target audiences

Lgbti, Friends, Couples, For families, Professional, young people, I travel alone, Seniors

Segments

Culture

Specialties

Other Monuments or patrimonial Elements

Season

All year

Duration

0,5

Open to visitors

Yes