Camas

Camas
Read more Read less

Town belonging to the Aljarafe, located near Seville, within its metropolitan AREA at a place called the Cerro del Carambolo. The most important monument is the parish church of Nuestra Señora de Gracia.

History

It seems that the origins of the village date back to a farmstead belonging to Abu-Alkama, in the period of Al-Andalus.
The famous treasure of the Carambolo from the tartessian period was discovered in the AREA, together with many pieces of pottery and a figure of the Egyptian goddess Astarté, from the 7th or 6th century B.C.
Under the Carthaginians, the AREA was protected by various castles or strongholds built by Hannibal.
Under the Roman domination it was the city of Ugla.
Following the Christian reconquest it fell under the jurisdiction of the city of Seville. In 1631, following a suit against the Conde-Duque de Olivares, it was bought by the canon of the Cathedral of Seville, Diego Arias de Mendoza.
Following the uprising of General Riego in 1820, it received the tile of city and the right to use its own coat of arms from the Constitution of 1821.

Eminent citizens

Curro Romero, bull fighter.
Paco Camino, bull fighter.
José Muñoz San Román, poet, writer and playwright.
Camas
Municipio
Camas
The weather today in Camas
  • Max 24
  • Min 21
  • Max 75
  • Min 69
  • °C
  • °F
Camas
Tourist area
Distance to the capital (km)
4
Altitude above sea level (m)
13
Extension (Km 2 )
12
No. of Inhabitants
25499
Demonym
Cameros
Postal Code
41900
Contact information
Copy the contact information
Copied to clipboard
Social networks
en
Read more

we recommend