San Juan de Aznalfarache

San Juan de Aznalfarache
Read more Read less

The town is located on the right bank of the Guadalquivir River, at the eastern edge of the Aljarafe. It has become a residential district for the city of Seville, which it dominates from its privileged geographic location.

Despite rapid urban growth, it still conserves certain characteristics and the monuments of its past, including the Almohad ramparts and churches such as the Iglesia de los Sagrados Corazones, the Iglesia de S. Juan Bautista and the Capilla de Nuestra Señora del Rosario.

History

The first known settlements date back to the period of the Iberians.
It was called Osset under the Romans and became August city of importance, to the extent of coining its own currency.
During the Al-Andalus it was called Hisn-Al-Faray, meaning castle of the vantage point, from which its present name derives. The fortress was built between 1196 and 1197. It later became the residence of the poet-king Al-Motamid.
The Christian reconquest was led by the grand master Pelay Correa by order of Fernando III. In 1248 it was ceded to the military order of San Juan de Jerusalén, which is the origin of the first part of the town"s name.
San Juan de Aznalfarache
Municipio
San Juan de Aznalfarache
The weather today in San Juan de Aznalfarache
  • Max 24
  • Min 21
  • Max 75
  • Min 69
  • °C
  • °F
San Juan de Aznalfarache
Tourist area
Distance to the capital (km)
4
Altitude above sea level (m)
47
Extension (Km 2 )
4
No. of Inhabitants
20563
Demonym
Sanjuaneros
Postal Code
41920
Contact information
Copy the contact information
Copied to clipboard
Social networks
en
Read more

we recommend