This village is situated to the south of the province, in a landscape of olive and almond groves, cereal fields, orchards and mountain patches.
The whole of the village is a real monument, an urban site worth visiting, where we must point out the Palace of the Cobos Family, with a façade work of Vandelvira.
It belongs to the Sierra Mágina Natural Park which forms part of the Subbetic region and offers beautiful and spectacular landscapes. With regard to vegetation, Holm and Gall oaks are frequent as well as pine trees and salgareños. Its rich and varied wildlife is also important.
The first settlements date from Visigothic times.
King Fernando III reconquered the village and gave it to Baeza. In a document of 1486, we are told about the capitulation of the village to the Master of the Order of Calatrava due to the complaints made by the Town Council and the neighbours about the affronts of the Governor Fray Juan de Mendoza. These capitulations are a conquest of the Town Councils over the power of the military orders.
Juan Hidalgo, painter.
Baltasar Garzón, judge.