Villamanrique de la Condesa

Villamanrique de la Condesa
Read more Read less

Municipality located in the western part of the province of Seville, in an AREA of great beauty and interest for tourists comprising marshes, pine groves and cultivated fields. In addition to this landscape, the town has some interesting buildings, such as the church Santa Marí­a Magdalena and the palace of Villamanrique.

History

Since the time of the Tartessians and through the Iberian, Roman and Arab periods it was known as Mures.
The archaeological remains discovered in the AREA for the extraction of purple dyestuff.
At the time of Al-Andalus it was well populated and had several neighbourhoods.
Following the Christian Reconquest, led by Alphonso X, the town was handed over to the grand master of the Orden de Santiago (Order of Saint James) in 1253. At the end of the 14th century the hamlets Chillas and Gatos were incorporated to the town, which in 1539 was ceded to the Duke of Béjar.
When Philip II created the domain of the marquis of Villamanrique, the name of the town changed to Villamanrique de Zúñiga.
In the 18th century it was bought by the Duke of Montpensier.
In 1916 it was given its present name by Royal Decree, in honour of Isabel Francisca de Orleáns y Borbón, the Countess of Parí­s.
Personajes destacados
José Bernal Sánchez, marino.
San Pedro de Zúñiga, santo.
Pascual Márquez Dí­az, matador de toros.
Villamanrique de la Condesa
Municipio
Villamanrique de la Condesa
The weather today in Villamanrique de la Condesa
  • Max 18
  • Min 2
  • Max 64
  • Min 35
  • °C
  • °F
Villamanrique de la Condesa
Tourist area
Distance to the capital (km)
37
Altitude above sea level (m)
29
Extension (Km 2 )
58
No. of Inhabitants
3777
Demonym
Manriqueños
Postal Code
41850
Contact information
Copy the contact information
Copied to clipboard
Social networks
en
Read more

we recommend