Iglesia de Santa María la Mayor
The Church of Santa María la Mayor in Alcaudete, was built in two stages on the space occupied the old Muslim mosque.
The first stage corresponds to the elevation of the body, a rectangular layout with three naves and the original main chapel of Martín de Bolívar, using the most characteristic Gothic element: the ribbed vault.
The second stage, a new main chapel of Renaissance style by Francisco del Castillo. Worth highlighting are the two doorways displaying icons related with the Virgin Mary, combining both figurative and heraldic elements of the Renaissance.
The preserved book from the workshop mentions the intervention of Vandelvira around the year 1558, when he was commissioned a tribune by Bishop Diego Tavera.
The final element built is the Bell Tower, in the 17th century.
It was designated a Historic-Artistic Monument in 1931.
Under notice, contact
Services and infrastructure
- Accessible for handicapped
- Historic building