Village located near the capital, in Tierra Llana, on the banks of the river Piedras, in which the architectonic group of buildings around the square which is made up of the Town Hall, Saint Peter's church and various old ancestral homes, stands out. It also has a castle from the XV century and the Mercedes Convent.
In its municipal area it is included the Laguna del Portil, declared Natural Reserve for its interest as a place of passage for many birds. It also includes another areas of scenic interest and great beauty, as the Marismas del Río Piedras y Flecha del Rompido Natural Beauty Spot which it shares with the next door municipal area of Lepe.
It seems that the founders of this village were the Phoenicians. This conclusion has been reached because of the remains that have been found.
During Roman times these lands were used to supply the mining zone.
After the Christian conquest it was joined to the Marquisate of Gibraleon together with Lepe and Ayamonte. Later it passed into the hands of D. Pedro de Zuñiga who ordered the castle to be built in 1453.
The weather today in Cartaya
- Max 28
- Min 19
- Max 82
- Min 66