Plaza del Museo

Plaza del Museo
Read more Read less
The Plaza del Museo used to be the site of the Convento de la Merced. In 1840 the convent was partially demolished, as a result of the Confiscation undertaken by Mendizábal in 1835, and what remained was converted into an art museum.

After the demolition, the architect Balbino Marrón designed a promenade. The new image of the square consists of busts and statues on pedestals representing Roman empresses and emperors. Abundant vegetation was also planted and with the passage of time this has almost made it this place look like a park.

In 1864, a monument to Bartolomé Esteban Murillo was placed in the centre of the square. It was made by Sabino Medina and placed on a pedestal made by Demetrio de los Ríos. There are numerous adjoining benches in the interior of the square. Special mention should be given to tha market selling pictures, paintings and engravings that takes place on Sunday mornings.
Other Visits
Read more
Plaza del Museo
Plaza del Museo, s/n, 41001
Contact information
Copied to clipboard

Services and infrastructure

  • Historic building






All year

Open to visitors