What do you need in order to drive?

To drive in Andalusia/Spain you must be 18 years old, and 21 years old to hire a vehicle. Regarding your driver’s license:

  • If you are from an EU member state, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, you only need your valid driver’s license.
  • If you are from any other country you will require an International Driver’s License.

Tourists travelling in their own vehicles should be aware that a Temporary Registration Permit may be required. You can request this permit at Customs and it is valid for 6 months.

Regarding driver’s insurance:

  • If you are from an EU member state, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Andorra or Croatia, you only need to carry your insurance policy along with a payment receipt showing validity of the policy.
  • If you come from Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Byelorussia, Israel, Iran, Morocco, Moldavia, Macedonia, Serbia, Montenegro, Tunisia, Turkey or the Ukraine, you will need to get a Green Card - the International Motor Insurance Certificate.
  • If you are from a country not mentioned above, you should take out a Frontier Insurance policy (a temporary, obligatory, third party policy for motor vehicles).

Given that conditions may vary, we suggest that you contact the Spanish Embassy or Consulate to verify these requirements before you start your trip.